HASSOP TO HEATH

Hassop All Saints' Catholic Church
Hassop All Saints' Catholic Church

A TO Z – DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK DISTRICT – CHAPTER 18

HASSOP (off the B6001 Bakewell to Calver Road – SK223723)

Hassop is a charming village, dominated by its surprisingly large Catholic Church. Built in Classical Revival style with an Etruscan temple front, it certainly catches the eye and was constructed for the Eyre family who lived at Hassop Hall, which is hidden away from the road by a high wall. Hassop railway station is situated about two miles from the village, in a somewhat isolated location. Despite this, it had a first-class waiting room and many other facilities. As initially thought, it was intended for use by the Duke of Devonshire from Chatsworth House, but he used Rowsley instead. It now serves as a café, gift shop, and book shop, as well as a cycle hire centre.

HATHERSAGE (on the A6187 Hope Valley Road – SK230815)

St Michael's Church, Hathersage
St Michael’s Church, Hathersage

Hathersage today is a large, well-presented village with hotels, cafes, and shops lining its long main street. It has strong literary connections as well as beautiful scenery, excellent walking and climbing country, all of which attract droves of visitors. To the north, Stanage Edge rises steeply. To the south, the River Derwent flows on its way to gaining World Heritage status lower down the valley. In the 19th century, the scene was very different. Five chimneys belched out black smoke, Hathersage being the centre of the needle, pin, and wire drawing industry.

Charlotte Brontë’s best friend at school was Ellen Nussey, whose brother was the vicar of Hathersage. In 1845, Charlotte stayed at the vicarage with Ellen. During her stay, she took the opportunity to explore, walking on the moors and visiting many of the houses scattered around the area. Her famous novel ‘Jane Eyre’ was set in Hathersage. She used the name of the landlord of the George Inn, a Mr Morton, who greeted her when she first arrived, as the name for her fictitious village.

Another famous character associated with Hathersage is the outlaw Robin Hood, who is said to have been born at Loxley, only eight miles from Hathersage. Many local places bear his name. On Stanage Edge is Robin Hood’s Cave, where he and his men often hid. His faithful lieutenant, Little John, is reputedly buried in Hathersage churchyard, in a grave measuring 11 feet from head to footstone.

David Mellor Factory
David Mellor Factory

HATHERSAGE – DAVID MELLOR FACTORY SHOP

The David Mellor Cutlery Factory is in The Round Building, a purpose-built facility for cutlery production. It has been described by Sir Michael Hopkins, one of the leading figures in the introduction of high-tech architecture into Britain, as ‘a minor masterpiece of modern architecture.’ A country shop, museum and café are on site. David Mellor, though, is not just famous for cutlery. In 1966, he designed the national traffic light system, which is still in use to this day. He also created a square pillar box for the Post Office, but this was not so successful.

HATTON (on the A511 on the opposite side of the River Trent from Tutbury – SK215300)

The village lies on the northern bank of the River Dove, which acts as the boundary between Derbyshire and Staffordshire. It is primarily residential but also home to a Nestlé factory. The company advertises that the factory has a global ‘Coffee Centre of Excellence,’ which, in recent years, has seen substantial extensions and improvements to the site. The proximity to the A50 and other routes provides Hatton with a good road network. The reopening of Tutbury and Hatton Railway Station, after its closure in the 1960s, further enhances communication.

HAYFIELD (on the A624 road from Chapel en le Frith to Glossop – SK037870)

Hayfield War Memorial
Hayfield War Memorial

The village of Hayfield sits peacefully on the edge of the Peak District, in the narrow valley of the River Sett, surrounded by some of the wildest hills in the Dark Peak. Its location makes it a very popular centre for exploring the area with good amenities for walkers and mountain bikers, many of whom use it as the starting point for the western ascent of Kinder. In contrast, the Sett Valley Trail, which is 2.5 miles in length, offers easy, level walking. It follows the former track of the railway line that linked Hayfield with Manchester as far as New Mills.

For many years, Kinder was off-limits to walkers, as it was preserved as a grouse moor. The peace was interrupted on Sunday, 24 April 1932, by the famous Kinder Scout Mass Trespass. It had been well-advertised in the Manchester Evening Chronicle and involved some 400 people. The police were waiting for the leader, Benny Rothman, at the railway station. He avoided arrest by arriving on his bike. The walk started from Bowden Bridge Quarry, just to the west of the village centre. On the moor, gamekeepers confronted the walkers. But they were unable to stop them from walking across Kinder to meet up with other parties of ramblers who gained access from different locations. Five ramblers were later arrested and imprisoned for their part in the demonstration. As a result of the trespass, access restrictions have gradually reduced.

HAZELWOOD (1 mile from Duffield, off the B5023 Wirksworth to Duffield Road – SK322458)

Located on the western edge of Chevin Hill, Hazelwood is mainly a commuter village with a few farms in the vicinity and a chemical company, Lubrizol, based in Nether Lane. Part of the company site comprises an important wildlife area, known as Pickles’ Place, after the company cat, who died at the time, when a name was sought for the site. The cat had been adopted as a kitten by the staff almost 18 years before she died. Named Mrs Pickles, she became a firm favourite with both employees and visitors.

St John’s Church was built in 1846 but was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1902; however, it was rebuilt within a year. The cause of the fire was sparked from the coal-fired heaters, which were replaced by gas in 1925 and electricity in 1947. Edith Maude Hull, author of several books, wrote ‘The Sheik,’ which was later adapted as a film starring Rudolph Valentino. She moved to the village after marrying a local man. Initially, she lived at The Knowle, which is now part of the Lubrizol complex.

Nestle Factory, Hatton
Nestle Factory, Hatton
St John the Evangelist's Church, Hazelwood
St John the Evangelist's Church, Hazelwood

HEAGE WINDMILL (3 miles south of Ripley, off the B5013 northwest of Heage – SK368357)

Heage Windmill is prominently situated on the brow of a hill between the villages of Heage and Nether Heage in the district of Amber Valley. Over 200 years old and constructed from local sandstone, this Grade II-listed tower mill features six sails and a fantail.

Heage Windmill
Heage Windmill

The stone tower has a diameter of 24 feet. The windmill was last worked by miller Thomas Shore in 1919. After that, the fortunes of the mill declined, and in 1961 it was struck by lightning. Derbyshire County Council bought it the following year. It was listed Grade II * on 27 May 1966. It was not until a group of dedicated individuals, in conjunction with Derbyshire County Council, formed the ‘Heage Windmill Society’ (a registered charitable trust) that the restoration project began to progress. Work commenced in September 2000, and the windmill opened to the public in May 2002. Today, it is well worth a visit, and further information can be found on the Heage Windmill website.

Heage was once on the packhorse route from Derby to Chesterfield. Today, it is a somewhat scattered village with a few new estates. The Spanker public house at Nether Heage got its name from a whippet owned by the innkeeper in 1760. The dog’s name was Bonny, but she was known as ‘a real spanker’ because she won so many races.

HEANOR (on the A608 Derby Road and A6007 Ilkeston Road – SK435465)

St Lawrence Church, Heanor
St Lawrence Church, Heanor

Heanor is a small hilltop town clustered around its attractive parish church of St Lawrence, high above the Erewash Valley. It sits face to face across the valley with Eastwood, the Nottinghamshire town made famous by the writing of D H Lawrence. It remained a predominantly agricultural village until the Industrial Revolution, when coal and iron ore deposits in the area began to be exploited. The availability of employment brought more people to Heanor, and consequently, more houses were built to accommodate the newcomers.

In the mid-1900s, almost 45% of the working population of Heanor worked in the collieries, and about 15% worked in the textile trade. The rapid decline of the coal mining industry during the latter part of the century and the steady reduction in the textile trade led to an urgent need for diversification to avoid mass long-term unemployment. The Heanor Gate Industrial Estate was extended in 1967 and now comprises several large, well-established companies, as well as a small business section. It is the home of Matthew Walker (now Valeo Foods Group), the world’s oldest and largest manufacturer of Christmas puddings, which are exported all over the world. Matthew Walker, a Derbyshire farmer’s son, set up the business in the 1890s, producing a range of preserves and Christmas puddings from his mother’s recipes.

HEATH (adjacent to junction 29 of the M1 Motorway and the A617 – SK447668)

Despite being only a short distance from busy roads, Heath remains a quiet and peaceful village. The layout of the fields and the sites of buildings remain much the same as they did in the 13th century. In an area noted for woodland, the main village street is enhanced by a row of beautiful lime trees.

The Chatsworth Estate still owns part of the village that contains a mixture of ancient and modern buildings. The importance of which was recognised in 1977 by the award of conservation status. Two buildings are Grade II listed: a thatched cottage and the remains of the original 12th-century church, which is separated from the village by the dual carriageway.

Little John's Grave, Hathersage
Little John's Grave, Hathersage
Thatched Cottage, Heath
Thatched Cottage, Heath
Heanor Memorial Park
Heanor Memorial Park