MATLOCK TO MEERBROOK

Matlock Bridge
Matlock Bridge

A TO Z – DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK DISTRICT – CHAPTER 28

MATLOCK (on the A6 Derby to Buxton Road – SK300605)

Scenically, Matlock, or ‘The Matlocks’ as they are more correctly called, is the most attractive town in Derbyshire. Much of it lies in a deep gorge with dramatic scenery in all directions, along which rushes the busy A6 with the River Derwent never far away. The railway is left to tunnel through the sheer limestone cliffs. Initially, a string of small settlements, Matlock Bath attracts most visitors.

Former Tram Shed, Matlock
Former Tram Shed, Matlock

The development of Matlock owed much to its location on the main railway line between London and Manchester. It came to an end in 1967, when the line north of the town was closed. Matlock, though, is famous for another line. A cable tramway line claimed to have the steepest gradient in the world for a public road at one in five and a half. It opened in 1893 and ran for nearly a mile from Crown Square up Bank Street to the top of Rutland Street. Job Smith, who was the owner of Malvern House Hydro on Smedley Street, was instrumental in bringing the tramway to Matlock.

Finance was raised principally through Sir George Newnes, who published ‘Tit-Bits’ and other magazines. When the company encountered financial difficulties, he purchased the tramway and donated it to the town. It continued to carry passengers uphill for two pence, and down for one penny until mounting costs caused it to close in 1927. The tram house still stands at the top of Rutland Street. Many must have been the times in recent years when, toiling up Bank Street, people have wished the tramway still operated.

MATLOCK – HALL LEYS PARK

Matlock Bridge started life as a packhorse crossing to replace the ford. To the rear are pleasant riverside walks and Hall Leys Park, where excellent recreational facilities are available for all ages. At the head of the park is the ornate tram shelter that once stood in Crown Square. There is also a refreshment room and bandstand, as well as other leisure facilities. From the park, there are excellent views of the ruins of Riber Castle. Built and lived in by John Smedley until his death. In 1962, a group of zoologists acquired it and created a 60-acre fauna reserve and rare breeds centre. It closed in 2000 and has since been redeveloped for accommodation purposes. On the stone pillars at the side of the footbridge over the river, indicators show the level of floods in past years. Flood prevention measures had appeared to alleviate this problem until 2019, when widespread flooding occurred again.

Hall Leys Park, Matlock
Hall Leys Park, Matlock
Matlock Hydro
Matlock Hydro

MATLOCK – HYDRO

In 1851, Ralph Davis opened a small hydropathic establishment on Matlock Bank. John Smedley acted as his medical adviser, and two years later, he bought the business from Davis and immediately began to expand. He built the Hydro, commonly known as Smedley’s Hydro, to his design, which soon catered for more than 2,000 patrons per year. Victorian times were marked by wealthy individuals who were willing to pay two guineas a week to live modestly in luxurious surroundings. The treatment prescribed consisted of regular applications of water using wet sheets, sponges, baths, or douches. Alcohol and tobacco were forbidden, and diet was controlled. Exercise was limited to prevent overfatigue caused by long walks and other strenuous activities.

Smedleys Hydro, Matlock
Smedleys Hydro, Matlock

Smedley died in 1874, but the business continued to prosper, as did several other similar establishments on Matlock Bank. As the number of visitors increased, so did the demand for shops and services, and Matlock Bridge became a lively shopping centre. Hydropathy continued to flourish, and the town grew until the First World War; however, after that, the number of hydropathic establishments began to decline. Smedley’s Hydro is now the home of Derbyshire County Council.

MEERBROOK (off the A3 Leek to Buxton road – SK989608)

Meerbrook, a small village, is situated on the southwestern edge of the Peak District, nestled in a beautiful location surrounded by some of the finest countryside that the Staffordshire Moorlands have to offer. The Roaches tower above the village, and the attraction of Tittesworth Reservoir is to the south. Part of the village disappeared in the 1950s with the construction of the reservoir. Today, the area is popular with walkers, water sports enthusiasts, and other outdoor enthusiasts, as well as those who want to sit and relax at the visitor centre or by the shoreline of the reservoir.

A small church was built at Meerbrook before the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538. The present parish church of St Matthew was erected in two phases in 1870 and 1873. The Lazy Trout is a popular village pub, where you can dine both inside and out. The rear gardens have superb views of the Roaches.

Crown Square, Matlock
Crown Square, Matlock
Lazy Trout, Meerbrook
Lazy Trout, Meerbrook