FAIRHOLMES TO FLASH

A TO Z – DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK DISTRICT – CHAPTER 15
FAIRHOLMES (at the northern end of Ladybower Reservoir, off the A57 Glossop to Sheffield road – SK174894)
When exploring the Upper Derwent Valley, the ‘Lake District’ of the Peak, a visit to Fairholmes Visitor Centre is highly recommended. The team at the visitor centre is available to advise on how to make the most of your visit, whether you prefer a short stroll or a more challenging walk on the moors. Alternatively, you can enjoy a picnic, purchase refreshments at the kiosk, and sit at one of the available tables. Whatever you choose, the scenery is glorious and will make you want to return. In 2019, Ordnance Survey announced that, based on their research, Fairholmes was one of Britain’s top five favourite spots to start a walk.

FENNY BENTLEY (2 miles north of Ashbourne, on the A515 to Buxton – SK176502)
Apart from a few walkers, most motorists pass through this pretty little village without bothering to stop and explore. If they did, they would find a fascinating little church with a monument to Thomas Beresford, an Agincourt survivor who died in 1473, along with his wife and 21 children. On the other side of A515 is Cherry Orchard Farm, formerly The Old Hall. It was the home of the Beresford family and has mullioned windows, a square medieval tower, and a spiral staircase. The Beresford Family Society hosts an annual reunion in the village for all individuals with the surname Beresford. The Coach and Horses Inn dates to the 16th century, when it was originally built as a half-timbered house. It became a public house in the mid-1700s.

FERNILEE (on the A5004 Buxton to Whaley Bridge Road – SK016786)
The tiny hamlet of Fernilee, perched by the roadside, on the main road leading from Whaley Bridge to Buxton, consists only of a pub, a few farms and houses. From here, walkers have easy access to the Fernilee Reservoir and the Goyt Valley. A gunpowder factory, which may date back to the 16th century, supplied the ammunition for Sir Francis Drake to fight the Spanish Armada and was located where the Fernilee Reservoir is situated. At the time, a network of tramways and a narrow canal were used to transport the explosive materials required to manufacture gunpowder. During the First World War, the factory was very active but closed soon afterwards. The Cromford and High Peak railway used to pass through the valley, near where the reservoir is now located. At Whaley Bridge, a short distance to the west, the railway joined up with the London and North Western line.

FIVE PITS TRAIL (runs from Grassmoor Country Park to Tibshelf Ponds)
The trail is 5.5 miles long and runs from Grassmoor Country Park to Tibshelf Ponds through lovely, rolling countryside. Williamthorpe Ponds and Holmewood Woodlands are a further two miles away. For those who prefer circular walks, other paths along rights of way are available. The trail follows approximately the route of the old Grand Central Railway and linked mineral railways. They served five main collieries at Grassmoor, Williamthorpe, Holmewood, Pilsley and Tibshelf. Reclamation and conservation work over the past 30 years has seen spoil tips and wasteland replaced by meadows and woodland.
FLAGG (off the A515 halfway between Bakewell and Buxton – SK136683)
Situated in former Viking country, Flagg is 1,000 feet above sea level and is predominantly a farming village. It probably got its name from turf cutting but is now best known for point-to-point races on Flagg Moor. The races started in 1892 and have been held almost every year on Easter Tuesday, until very recently when they were suspended.
The Elizabethan Manor House, known as Flagg Hall, is said to contain a haunted human skull. Legend has it that evil will befall anyone who removes it from its place. Several attempts have been made, but have met with unfortunate consequences, including trying to bury it at Chelmorton. When the funeral cortege neared the village, the horses refused to proceed further, rearing and stamping, and the intended burial was abandoned.


FLASH (off the A53 Leek to Buxton road – SK025672)
Flash, surrounded by magnificent moorland scenery, stands at a height of 1,525 feet above sea level and is claimed to be the highest village in England. It is an isolated place, the central part of which consists of well-weathered cottages and a small church, all clustered together seemingly to keep warm on the side of Oliver Hill. The village hall stands apart from the main village and serves as a memorial to the men killed in the Second World War. Built by local people, assisted by Quakers and students from around the world, it opened in 1958.

The A53 runs only a short distance to the east of Flash and is frequently closed by heavy snow in winter. The harsh winter of 1947 still lingers in the minds of many of the village’s older inhabitants, when violent blizzards gripped the Peak. Roads around Flash came to a complete standstill, with hundreds of vehicles abandoned and the telephone lines down. The situation was desperate as people became short of food and fuel, and for a time, the village lost contact with the outside world.
Only a short distance from the village is Three Shires Head, where a bridge crosses the River Dane at a point where the borders of Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire meet. Many years ago, illegal prize fights were held there. At that time, the police were not allowed to cross county borders, making it easy for wrongdoers to flee into another county. For the very same reason, counterfeiters choose the spot for their illicit trade in ‘flash’ money. The word ‘Flash’ has since become associated with being dishonest or with goods that are not of genuine quality.
FLASH BAR (on the A53 Leek to Buxton Road – SK032678)
Situated just outside the village of Flash is Flash Bar, featuring a stylish café and stores. The shop and café are probably the highest above sea level in England. On the other side of the road is the Traveller’s Rest public house, which has now reopened as the Knight’s Table.
Flash once had its own benefit society to support those most in need, the Flash Loyal Union Society, established in 1846. Nicknamed the ‘Teapot Club’ presumably because many members saved the club money in a teapot. Attendance at an annual feast was compulsory for members once a year, provided that the funds had been deposited into the benefit fund. Feast Day was an important day in the village’s social calendar. When, in 1995, the benefit club disbanded due to new Government regulations, the event remained.
As one recent visitor who just happened to visit Flash on the day of the village parade recounts, she was astonished to see a procession march to the Traveller’s Rest carrying a large model teapot. Furthermore, the marchers also carried banners referencing the teapot and were accompanied by a brass band. On the same day, there is a service in the church, as well as a well dressing and a flower festival with refreshments in the village hall.


