NEWTON SOLNEY TO NORTH WINGFIELD

A TO Z – DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK DISTRICT – CHAPTER 33
NEWTON SOLNEY (on the B5008 between Repton and Burton – SK283257)
A writer in the 1950s described Newton Solney as “A village planted out in a garden, and half its population seems to be gardeners.” Although the village has grown since then, it remains one of the better-kept villages. Immaculate, colourful gardens, well-maintained verges and rarely any sign of litter. It is not surprising to see that the village has won numerous awards in the Best Kept Village and Britain in Bloom contests.

Few people who regularly drive through Newton Solney realise that hidden away on the riverside of the village is a sizeable estate of houses. Even fewer are aware of the small, attractive estate built up around the lake at Newton Park on the other side of the road. It is a medium-sized village with a population of about 700. There is an infant school, a church, a village hall, a hairdresser, a recreational field, two pubs and a hotel. There is a second school, Bladon House, within the parish boundary.
Although the River Trent flows close to the northern end of the village, it remains largely unseen. Three lanes lead off the main street, but Trent Lane alone leads to the river, and then it only comes into view at the last minute. Blacksmith’s Lane takes its name from the charming old Forge Cottage at the entrance to the Lane that leads to the housing estate. The view of the river from Church Lane is obstructed by the Church of St. Mary and Rock House, which some believe was built on the site of the old Manor House.
NINE LADIES STONE CIRCLE (on Stanton Moor, between Birchover and Stanton-in-Peak – SK250634)
The most famous of the Bronze Age relics on Stanton Moor is The Nine Ladies Stone Circle. The circle was probably the scene of Bronze Age ceremonies dating back to about 1.500 BC. But its name is based on the legend that nine ladies danced here on the Sabbath Day and were turned to stone as a punishment, along with the fiddler who stands nearby.


NORBURY (off the A515 on B5033 southwest of Ashbourne – SK124422)

Set in an attractive location by the River Dove, Norbury is a scattered village, with a fine old church and a 13th-century Manor House that still retains many of its original features. The National Trust manages it and offers limited public access.
The village is famous for its connection with George Eliot, whose real name was Mary Ann Evans. She wrote seven novels, including Adam Bede, The Mill on the Floss and Silas Marner. Her father, Robert Evans, was born on Roston Common, attended a local school, and sang in the choir at Norbury Church. Many of the Evans family are buried in Norbury Churchyard. Norbury and Ellastone railway station was opened in 1852 by the North Staffordshire Railway at Norbury. Regular passenger services ceased in 1954, and freight services followed two years later. However, occasional special excursion trains continued to use the station until 1958. The station sign is still prominently displayed.
NORTH WINGFIELD (on the A6175, Clay Cross to Junction 29 of M1 Motorway – SK410650)
North Wingfield is a large village, located in a former coal mining area. Due to its proximity to the M1 motorway, the area has experienced a surge in housing developments in recent years. The manor of Wingfield existed in 1086, when it had a church and a priest. Parts of the current church date back to the Norman era, and there is evidence of worship dating back to the Saxon period.

